The Federal Government of Nigeria has granted its approval for the establishment of 12 new private universities across the country.
This was made known by the minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, at the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting held in Abuja yesterday. The universities which are located in Abia state, Delta state, Anambra state, Gombe state, Niger state, Sokoto state, Kano state and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja would receive mentorship from the federal universities around them to enable the enlistment of academic and administrative staff, primary officers as well as human and material resources needed for the commencement of academic programmes
The Federal Government stated that the country does not have adequate higher institutions to contain the increasing number of youth that desire university education and that its appropriate ministries and agencies are interacting with the striking unions like the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT), Non-Academic Staff Union of Allied and Educational Institutions (NASU), Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), to ensure that they call off the ongoing strikes.
Speaking to reporters at the end of the meeting, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Muhammed, on behalf of the Minister of Education said that some of the newly approved universities were specialized ones and their approval were given by the council following a memorandum presented by the ministry of education on behalf of the National Universities Commission (NUC).
The newly approved private universities and their mentors include;
- Sports University Idumuje Ugboko, Delta state to be mentored by University of Benin.
- Bala Ahmed University, Kano, Kano state.
- Al-Ansar University, Maiduguri, Borno state to be mentored by University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri.
- Peter University, Achina-Onene, Anambra state to be mentored by Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
- European University of Nigeria, Duboyi, Abuja, FCT to be mentored by University of Abuja, FCT.
- Nigerian-British University, Hasa, Abia state, to be mentored by University of Port Harcourt.
- Khalifa Ishaku Rabiu University, Kano, Kano state to be mentored by Bayero University, Kano.
- Saisa University of Medical Sciences and Technology, Sokoto, Sokoto state
- Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto.
- Newgate University, Minna, Niger state to be mentored by Federal University Minna.
- Pen Resource University, Gombe, Gombe state to be mentored by Modibbo Adamawa University of Technology, Yola.