Science Laboratory Technologists are highly desirable manpower resources for scientific and technological advancements in universities and research institutes.
The Degree Programme in Science Laboratory Technology intends to offer a five/and or four-year standard degree programme leading to the award of a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Honours Degree in Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) in some Nigerian universities or a technical degree in most polytechnics.
This career is usually laboratory based as Technicians or Technologists are trained to manage laboratory equipment in universities or other research based institutions.
To study SLT in Nigeria, one has to have a basic understanding of Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology. The UTME combination is Use of English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. One must have also acquired a minimum of 6 O’Level credits in science for either NECO SSCE, WASSCE or NABTEB.
Direct entry/A Level candidates must also possess the minimum required five (5) credit level passes at SSCE/GCE O/L or its equivalent. The minimum duration of the programme for direct entry is four (4) years and the students enter the programme in second year of the standard five-year programme.
SLT can be studied in various aspects such as Environmental, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Microbiology/Virology, Physics/Electronics and Pharmacology/Physiology techniques
Universities offering Science Laboratory Technology in Nigeria
You can earn a B.Sc (Tech), M.Sc or Phd in SLT in any of the following universities in Nigeria;
- Bauchi State University
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti,
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Federal University of Technology, Yola
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso
- University of Benin, Benin City
- University of Jos, Jos
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Portharcourt, Rivers State
Most polytechnics in Nigeria also offer SLT programmes for a one or two years training programme
Where can a Science Laboratory Technician/Technologist work in Nigeria?
Science Laboratory Technicians or Technologists, even after acquiring just a B.Sc can work in various government, medical or pharmaceutical industries such as:
- Environmental health department; they are involved in analysing food samples to consider prosecution and to protect public health.
- Water industry; collection and analysis of water samples in order to maintain the quality of public water supply.
- Educational institutions/Research institutes; support science teachers, lecturers, researchers and students in laboratory research/projects.
- Food and Beverages production industries, they are involved in quality control/assurance of food products
- Food/ drug administration and control agencies
- Government ministries and Agencies ( Ministry of science and technology, Health)
- In oil and Gas industries; identification of biomarkers tracing sources and petroleum migration and history.
- Medical/diagnostic laboratories
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Oil companies
- Petrochemical industries and so many more
This career has a lot of job opportunities in Nigeria depending on the field studied under Science Laboratory Technology.
The body of Science Technologists that manages and maintains institutional and industrial laboratories in Nigeria is the Nigerian Institute of Science Laboratory Technology